<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Info

About Me
Agent

Publicist

Subscribe: RSS for blog RSS for comments

Facebook icon and link Twitter icon and link Flickr icon and link Qik icon and link Dopplr icon and link
MySpace icon and link MyBlogLog icon and link Technorati icon and link Tumblr icon and link Blogger icon and link

friend me on Facebook
follow me on Twitter
view my photos on Flickr
watch my videos on Qik
find me on Dopplr
join my MySpace
check my MyBlogLog
my Technorati profile
view my Tumblr
my Blogger profile
Blog RSS feed
Comments RSS feed

Recent posts

Email
Panel
Sentence
Stay
FAIL
Banksy
Sex
Whore
Time
Advice



Places to shop and visit

My Top 10 Toys - Women
My Top 10 Toys - Men
My Top 10 Toys - Couples
Fleshlight UK
Condoms
Durex's Ora!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Projections 


Recently I was introduced to a concept that really resonated with me. Whatley describes his philosophy* as the ‘Five Projections of Love’:

“The five projections of love are touch, time, words, actions and presents. Every single act of love can be defined by one of the above. We all like all five, all of us do… in varying ways. But on average, we each tend to favour two or three over the others…the thing about our favourite ways of projecting our love is that they also double up as our favourite ways of receiving love….”

And I thought back to the relationships I’ve had and realised that this often applied to them. When it worked out, it was because our projections matched each other; when it didn’t, it was because there was too much difference between them. Matching those projections with another is what melds the union; it’s something we all strive for, unconsciously or not.

I’ve always been of the belief that sex, relationships, love all work when each person involved wants the same things – from each other, and from the situation. I’m not sure if that’s always viable, but I think if we strive for openness in our wants and needs we’re more likely to end up in mutual equilibrium.

I’m fully aware, though, that I couldn’t be with someone for whom touch was unimportant, or wasn’t a way in which they expressed themselves; I need physical affection alongside a good sexual connection. I also would struggle to maintain intimacy with a person who was unable to voice, express, or otherwise articulate how they were feeling: words and dialogue are what ground me. I am lost without communication; I need to hear what someone wants and feels.

But Whatley’s idea is not just about being able to state what your wants are: it’s actually about recognising what another’s needs are – and altering how you interact with them to satisfy that/them:

“…keep an eye out for how they project their love [to you]. By doing something similar to/for them back you may make them feel the most loved person in the world.”

I guess that’s where the beauty of this philosophy lies, for me. At its heart is the simple idea that to be really happy, it involves making other people happy. And showing someone you love them, in the way that they need you to, is the most loving thing that you can do.

It’s not a profound concept, perhaps, but I think it’s poignant and worth remembering nevertheless.

EDIT: *Whatley's interpretation of other philosophies, one assumes.

designed by one man